SEEKING MIGRAINE TREATMENT
Managing Migraines: Is it time to seek migraine treatment?
You may be able to reduce your chances of suffering from a migraine attack by knowing your potential migraine triggers.1
For migraine treatment, many people find it helpful to lie down in a dark, quiet environment.2 Some people also find it useful to place a cold washcloth on their head or use massage or relaxation techniques.2
However, it’s always important to consult a doctor if:
- You've never been diagnosed with a migraine. Your healthcare provider may prescribe one or several prescription medicines for migraine. He or she may also recommend an over-the-counter (OTC) medicine such as Excedrin® • Migraine. For some patients, Excedrin®Migraine may be all they need.
Migraines interfere with work, study, or your leisure activities, or you experience significant pain.3
- Your migraines aren't controlled by your current medications.
Diagnosing migraines: Choosing a doctor
Not all doctors are experts at diagnosing and managing migraine headaches. To find one who is, ask your family doctor or a hospital in your area for a referral.
The healthcare professional you consult should also be someone with whom you feel comfortable.4 Here are some qualities to look for in your doctor-patient relationship:
Your doctor should:
- Be good a listener and communicator
- Treat you with genuine care and respect
- Take your headache pain seriously4
- American Headache Society. Headache Hygiene — What Is It? Available at: http://www.achenet.org/education/patients/HeadacheHygiene.asp. Last accessed July 2011.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Migraine Fact Sheet. What to do when a migraine begins. Available at: http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/migraine.cfm Last accessed July 2011.
- American Headache Society. Information for Patients. How to Talk to Your Practitioner About Your Headaches. Available at: http://www.achenet.org/education/patients/HowtoTalktoYourPractitioneraboutYourHeadaches.asp Last accessed July 2011.
- National Headache Foundation. Talking to Your Headache Doctor. What you should expect from your doctor. Available at: http://www.headaches.org/education/Tools_for_Sufferers/Talking_To_Your_Headache_Doctor Last accessed July 2011.
References: migraine treatments, doctor, migraine symptoms